16 March 2020

UP System Going Digital Is Asking For The Moon! Ask Me


Today, Saturday, 14 March 2020, on Facebook I read the UP Los Baños, UPLB, memo from the Chancellor’s Office that starting Monday, 16 March, UPLB, including UP Rural High School, will be shifting to online classes. Citing Corollary Community Coronavirus Clampdown Concerning Close Contact Communication. 

Online teaching? Ah, UP, teach yourself first! (Other SCUs likewise.)

This teacher’s prediction:
The Coronavirus Curse is forever changing
the educational scene
, thank God!

Where is UP now? I am very disappointed with what I see. Above images: Moon shot by me 08 March 2020, 10 PM: moving target. Lower image from UPLB[1] –

Walang kabuhay-buhay! Still life.

UPLB, your community is only inside the campus?

In this Digital Age? My alma mater UPLB, and the whole UP System:

Actually, the whole PH educational system is not prepared to go digital!

Why? Simple – It has not been teaching itself digitally. In UP, teachers and students have been preoccupied with protesting, nationalism – not learning to learn.

Digital is the ultimate lesson!
But you have to learn how it can teach you.

Ask me. I became digital on Innocents’ Day 35 years ago! Not bragging: I could do a one-night-stand all-digital lecture-demo at UP Diliman Sunken Gardens if they ask me, frankahilario@gmail.com.

Nonetheless, what I’m most interested in as a teacher are neither materials nor manners of presentation.

I’m most interested in the process of learning.

I started teaching myself digital when I was already 45 years old – the process of learning is crux.

Remember, Teacher, when going digital, you don’t have the class-roomed attention of your students – remember, they all have cellphones!

So, Teacher, you should be Challenging Learners to Think!

Think Critical thinking, and think Creative thinking. Critical is logical, so you have to follow rules – sequential, numerical, alphabetical, chronological, whatever. Creative is illogical – out of the blue, “a happy thing happening when you’re not looking for it,” intuition, “a little bird told me.” Think. And think again. (I can teach you both.)

There is no excuse for not going digital, especially if you are from UP, the National University of the Philippines. I am UP ’65 with a BSA in Ag Education. I must be a good teacher because I taught myself personal computing. Today, at 79 I blog everyday, thank God; from 2007, I have blogged some 6,000 essays, 7 million words plus.

How to be intelligent about it? Be original: Like, reverse roles – it should be fun – students ask questions to test teacher! Now, teacher will really have to study. Students will study even more because they want to ask the hardest question(s) – and what happens? You have already taught them even before you meet in your class online!

The secret of teaching is learning –
the best way to learn is to teach digital,
with some words, plenty of images.
This is a Facebook hound speaking!

When the learner studies to teach, he learns best. Not only that – he enjoys doing it!

Where did you learn all that? From this teacher
who has been ambidextrously digital since 1985.@
517








[1] https://uplb.edu.ph/all-news/uplb-dti-laguna-open-facility-for-start-ups-small-businesses/


No comments:

Post a Comment