24 August 2019

On The New DA, Rappler Breaks My Heart As Ralf Rivas Raises Hell, Not Hope!

THiNK! PH Media, you are our own contrabida in agriculture! 
For me as journalist, this is a very happy day – and you mediamen have just made me very sad.
The ego-filling very positive words I have just received from a reader of my latest essay online are in stark contrast with the ego-deflating very negative words on the actions of the new Department of Agriculture, DA, now led by Secretary of Agriculture William Dar, that I have just read on media! 
Reacting to my essay "Editor In Chief, Yes! Approaching 79 Years Of Age, How May I Help You?" Creativity Works! (24 August 2019, Creativity Works! icreativityworks.blogspot.com), Jovita Corpuz says:
Congratulations, Manong! I like the way you write about science and technology – just like an interesting novel that puts the reader excited about the story and will read to the end!
Those are phrases that please. Now to the phrases that displease, to say the least. Today, I have just read some news items on an unidentified disease causing some mortality on swine in place/s also unidentified in the Philippines.


There are plenty of backyard piggeries in the Philippines (above image of healthy suckling pigs in a backyard farm is from iFranchise Philippinesifranchise.ph)
Now, the title of this one should scare you to death! This is from Ralf Rivas of Rappler (21 August 2019, rappler.com): "Agriculture Department Evades Questions As Pigs Die In Luzon."  The very first words are:
Pigs are dying because of an unidentified disease. Raisers are reportedly making sausages out of the infected hogs. The Department of Agriculture holds a media briefing, but hardly offers answers.
With those 30 words, Miss Rappler and Mr Rivas, you want to bring down the whole new leadership of the Department of Agriculture?!
At the same time scare all of us pork-eaters out of our mouths?!
This is journalism that makes me very unhappy, the pursuit of Truth that makes me cry. 
I have in fact been writing on this unhealthy attitude of journalists American and Filipino in the last 2 years. Here are 2 essay of mine: (a) 06 February 2017, "I, Teacher. Thinking How To Teach The US Media How To Think!" Creativity Works! icreativityworks.blogspot.com; and (b) 08 March 2019, "Maria Ressa & Kit Tatad – Why Truth Will Not Set You Free," Creativity Works! icreativityworks.blogspot.com).
Now, this is how US and Philippine media should THiNK!
T – Is it the Truth?
H – Is it Helpful?
I – Is it Inspiring?
N – Is it Necessary?
K – Is it Kind?
T.H.I.N.K.!
That is how Zig Ziglar puts it, all you people especially Media.
What Mr Rivas along with Rappler is doing is coming out with stories that cannot even pass the Rotary 4-Way Test:  
Is it the truth?
Is it fair to all concerned?
Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
No Media is above the law of being truthful and being helpful and being inspiring and being necessary and being kind all at the same time!@517

No comments:

Post a Comment