02 August 2019

What Can The Bible Teach Us Vs Climate Change? Actually, That Depends On You!


I am a Roman Catholic; if you're not one, I ask you: "Where is Climate Change in the Bible?" (above image from CBN, cbn.com)

Actually, there is none! Whether it's the New Revised Standard Version (my favorite) or the New International Version (everybody else's favorite).

So: The ancient Bible is irrelevant in these modern times?!

No, Love, no!

In my essay "Vs Climate Change, We Don't Need Science – We Need Selflessness, Generosity & Activism!" 01 August 2019, Creativity World, icreativityworld.blogspot.com), instead of "The New Environmentalism" proposed by Harvard Dean Gus Speth, I recommended "The New Evangelism."

So, in a sense, this is a Back-to-the-Bible Broadcast in digital media. Here are The Ten Commandments I have memorized (Catechism Of The Catholic Church, vatican.va):

1. I am the Lord your God; you shall not have strange gods before me.
2. You shalt not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.
4. Honor your father and your mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.

Actually, what I have memorized is "Thou" instead of "You." But it does not matter how you put it in words – what matters is how you practice it, Catholic or not.

Now, how do you apply The Ten Commandments vs Climate Change?

I'll give you one, the last, the 10th: "You shall not covet your neighbor's goods "

Thus: In science, for the sake of sustainability, whatever you do must be all of these:

(1)   Technically feasible
(2)   Repeatable
(3)   Economically viable
(4)   Environmentally sound
(5)   Socially acceptable.

I added "Repeatable" to make it memorable: TREES. Essays are made by fools like me, but only God can make trees.

The environment is your neighbors' goods too! So, whatever you do must allow the environment to regenerate itself in time. Such as in a forest, you cut only the old trees and not clear the whole forest, which is not environmentally friendly and not socially acceptable. The law of God must prevail over the law of man – or what's the Bible for?

The fundamental issue is not Climate Change but Private Change. It's your Spirit vs my Spirit, your God vs my God. If your God is Science, so be it! But do not impose on me.

From now on, I stopdebating Environmental Science with anyone. I am going to actively practice my Christianity in words, deeds and thoughts.

Deeds: Say, if you can finance a 1-hectare operation anywhere in Luzon, I will demonstrate the above 5 values of sustainability by a farm demo. And blog about it.

Now, with the Bible, we must be creative! Make love, not war.

Use the Bible to understand each other, not quarrel!

It's not The New Environmentalism of the Harvard Dean. It's The New Evangelism.

God is great!@517


No comments:

Post a Comment