11 September 2019

FM & MLQ – About Nationalism & Development, Cup Half-Full & Half-Empty!


As iVirtual Guru, I find it is my duty to teach a little Philippine history today, Wednesday, 11 September. (FM image from Wikipedia, en.wikipedia.org,; original MLQ image from philnews.ph)

Your favorite imperfect nationalist is Manuel Luis Quezon, inventor of Tagalog as basis of the National Language; birthmonth August. Myfavorite imperfect nationalist is Ferdinand "FM" Marcos; birthmonth September, also mine. An Ilocano, like me. FM was a genius that MLQ was not – it takes one to know one!

On FM whose birthday is 11 September, more than enough has been said about him as the glass half-empty; I prefer to look at the glass half-full.

I just checked the Wikipedia entry on FM and I find only 233 words that mention FM's accomplishments, among 24,600 plus words in the whole webpage! That is 99.05% unfavorabletreatment and 0.95% favorabletreatment of a Very Important President, VIP; so, I will write on this page some 25%% of the good that that VIP did.

Warning: FM was a man of science, and so am I. He had a prodigious memory that unfortunately I do not have; but with the Internet, I have limitless memory!

In 2012, I expanded a previous book I authored on UPLB Class '58 Vanguards into UP Vanguards, Scientists & Heroes, 228 pages – it remains unpublished; I still have it, in pdf. In it, I wrote 2,241 words, Chapter 1: "Ferdinand E Marcos – A Soldier & A Scholar," pages 87-94. From there, I mention a few of his creations:

Philippine Council for Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resources Research and Development(PCARRD), in 1972. And PCARRD went on to rationalize the science of Philippine agriculture and save millions of pesos.

Philippine Tobacco Research and Training Center (PTRTC), in 1977. And PTRTC went on to save the tobacco industry from collapse.

Forest Research Institute (FORI) out of the research division of the Bureau of Forestry, in 1975. And FORI went on to bring up local forest science to the attention of both the local and international communities via the monthly newsletter Canopy, quarterly technical journal Sylvatrop, and quarterly color magazine Habitat. I know – I was the Founder & Editor in Chief of those 3 major publications.

Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice), in 1985. The proposal to establish PhilRice was submitted to FM through Agriculture & Food Minister Salvador H Escudero III. FM signed Executive Order (EO1061) creating PhilRice on 04 November 1985. After People Power, President Corazon Aquino signed EO 60 on 07 November 1986, affirming the creation and increasing membership of the Board of Trustees.

Geothermal Energy Program (GEP) of the Philippines: in Leyte July 1977, in Tiwi January 1979, and in Makiling-Banahaw May 1979. Today, the Philippines is the world’s largest consumer of electricity generated by geothermal heat, 28% dependent on it. Billions of dollars have been saved off imported oil and coal.

FM deserves a proper thick book from this genius, 1,000 pages, with many photographs and citations. I have only one problem: NFA, no funds available! If you have suggestions, email me: frankahilario@gmail.com.@517

No comments:

Post a Comment